Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi, If anyone has some C++ code to check a file's MIME type, I'd really appreciate a copy or a URL to find it.  I am specifically trying to verify that if a file that I am reading (from a Windows file system) has a jpg file suffix, or variants thereof, that the file is indeed of MIME type image/jpeg. The development environment in this instance is Visual Studio 2017.  I have scoured Google and Stack Overflow but haven't come up with anything.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Cheers, Necuima

Hi Larry,

I have found a function 'FindMimeFromData' and will see if I can figure out how to use it.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Necuima

I am going around and around in circles trying to create an LPWSTR (wchar_t*) variable in Visual Studio C++ 2017.  MS and Stack Overflow provide lots of examples but I can't get any of them to work!

I THINK that I have all the other variables/parameters set OK for the native C 'FindMimeFromData' function.

I'll keep experimenting! And if I find a solution I will post it.

I finally found how to create the variable required which was LPWSTR* and now it compiles OK but won't link.  It is more trouble than it is worth but I found one already developed in C# which I might play around with in due course.  The solution in C# is from https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/849083/Determining-File-Type-A-Demonstration-of-Different

For anyone interested, here's the code to get the variables all in the correct format (Visual Studio 2017 C++17 Windows Form):

if (openFileDialog1->ShowDialog() != System::Windows::Forms::DialogResult::Yes)
		{	// weird!!  The negative case is the one that works??
			//save the file name in the text box
			this->txtFileName->Text = openFileDialog1->FileName;
			// see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/internet-explorer/ie-developer/platform-apis/ms775107(v=vs.85)
			// convert the file name to the form that the FindMimeFromData expects
			// fopen expects a C string
			char* InputFileName = (char*)Marshal::StringToHGlobalAnsi(txtFileName->Text).ToPointer();

// now 'looking for'
			String^ managed_looking_for = L"image/jpeg";
			marshal::marshal_context context;	// sets the context - needed - see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384865.aspx
			wchar_t const* c_looking_for = context.marshal_as<wchar_t const*>(managed_looking_for);

// now 'out'
			String^ managed_out = gcnew String("                                  ");
			LPWSTR* c_out = (LPWSTR*)Marshal::StringToHGlobalUni(managed_out).ToPointer();

char buff[256];

FILE *in = fopen(InputFileName, "rb");
			fread(buff, 1, 256, in);

FindMimeFromData(NULL, NULL, buff, 256, c_looking_for, FMFD_DEFAULT, c_out, 0);
			printf("%ls\n", c_out);

}
	else
		MessageBox::Show("An error occurred during the file select process - please try again.");
}	// end file select button clicked

Just FYI the linker errors are:

unresolved token (0A000B0F) "extern "C" long __stdcall FindMimeFromData(struct IBindCtx *,wchar_t const *,void *,unsigned long,wchar_t const *,unsigned long,wchar_t * *,unsigned long)" (?FindMimeFromData@@$$J232YGJPAUIBindCtx@@PB_WPAXK1KPAPA_WK@Z) referenced in function "private: void __clrcall TestFileType::MyForm::btnSelectFile_Click(class System::Object ^,class System::EventArgs ^)" (?btnSelectFile_Click@MyForm@TestFileType@@$$FA$AAMXP$AAVObject@System@@P$AAVEventArgs@4@@Z)

I do not intend to spend any more time on this at the moment!

Cheers from Oz.