Larry Ullman's Book Forums

A Question About Progressive Enhancement

I have just started reading this book and came across 'Progressive Enhancement'.

I'm just wondering, to what extent is it necessary to provide as much functionality as possible to the end user ? I mean if some one has blocked Javascript or is using some ancient browser, is it really necessary to cater to such users at the expense of slower development oryour other users who are using cutting edge browsers ? Does progressive enhancement mean that I should use the new input types (date, color etc) in HTML5 ? Because that would mean I'm not relying on Javascript or CSS to serve my content.

I look at it this way:

Your site must provide basic functionality to the lowest common denominator that you wish to support (like older IE and people that have Javascript disabled).

Once the basics are working you can then progressively enhance your site with spiffy features for those visitors that have the supporting technology.

For example, if you have a form - the fields are validated and processed with standard php which would work without Javascript. Then your Javascript can take over (when available) and say skip the old php stuff I've got it covered (hence preventing default behavior - another key concept from the book - at least to me).

• Upvote 1

I think it depends a lot on who your site caters to and why you're making the site in the first place.

Assuming that the site you're creating is for a business though, I use the following principle, which I first saw on another web developer's blog:

"If the cost of the time and effort required by you (the web developer) to support older browsers is greater than the amount of money you predict to make by supporting older browsers, then don't waste your time developing for those older browsers."

• Upvote 1