Larry Ullman's Book Forums

PHP For The Web, 5th Edition TYPOs

I thought I'd list minor misteaks as I find them.

page 88 Script 4.5  <?php //Script 4.3 - handle_calc.php  should be Script 4.5

Page 135 Equality and Inequality operators should be  == Equality and != Inequality
Page 135  Decrement should be  -- 
Page 135  Assignment should be =
Page 135 add ** for Exponent and === for Identical

I'm on chapter 8, maybe I'll go back and find more.

Page 197 top right, step 7. I believe the tag should be </main> not </div>

The image of PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (5th Edition) by Larry Ullman on your website 

Does not match the cover of the actual book.
incorrect                         correct
phpvqs5.jpg 51Hz01ihefL._AC_UL160_SR124,160_.jpg

Page 204, step 11 Create a folder named css within... This should be CSS
Page 205, step 12 ...downloadable code, in the css directory. This should be CSS

Page 206 might be a good place for a TIP reminding us that the case of the folder must match the code. CSS will work in your examples while css won't. 

Page 229, Script 8.10 continued
$body="Thank you, {$_POST['first_name']}, for registering with the J.D. Salinger fan club!'.";    Should be
$body="Thank you, {$_POST['first_name']}, for registering with the J.D. Salinger fan club!";
(remove the extra '. at the end

Page 238, Script 8.13  Is there a reason 
} else { // Incorrect
                print '<p class="text--error">The submitted email address and password do not match those on file!<br>Go back and try again.</p>';

}

is shaded? We weren't asked to change anything there.

Page 240 and others

It is now being encouraged to use SSL on all sites, so hard-coding a URL with http:// may cause issues if it is https:// and vice versa depending on the server behavior (and in case the SSL expires).

I'm sure you can suggest ways around this.

Just a thought...

The date() and time() functions are easy for beginners to grasp and could be introduced earlier in the book (Chapter 4?) with programs to calculate a person's age or elapsed time to solve a math problem.    

Some of my fellow students had trouble with file permissions. On the end of page 301 "You may be able to change..." could use a better explanation of  how CHMOD works in an FTP client. You must select or highlight the file on the remote server and find the "permissions" option in the FTP menu. 

Might be a good time to introduce fileperms() so us students know what the "system error" is.

• 2 weeks later...