Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Trying to install phpDocumentor2, no luck.

Would be grateful if you guys could talk me through steps.

I'm on Mac computer, I have MAMP installed.

Here's what I tried to do:

1. Opened Terminal.

2. Typed: pear channel-discover pear.phpdoc.org; (as per Larry's instructions from the book)

Got the response:

-bash: pear: command not found

My second attempt:

1. Logged in to MAMP using this line in the terminal:

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql --host=localhost -uroot -proot

Got to the mysql>

2. Typed: pear channel-discover pear.phpdoc.org;

3. Got a response:

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'pear channel-discover pear.phpdoc.org' at line 1

What can I do to make it work?

Thanks in advance!

I'm on Mac computer, I have MAMP installed.

Here's what I tried to do:

1. Opened Terminal.

2. Typed: pear channel-discover pear.phpdoc.org; (as per Larry's instructions from the book)

Got the response:

-bash: pear: command not found

Okay, I'll have to double check how MAMP does things (e.g., if it comes with PEAR at all). I have't used MAMP in a while.

My second attempt:

1. Logged in to MAMP using this line in the terminal:

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysql --host=localhost -uroot -proot

Got to the mysql>

No, you're confusing yourself here. First, you haven't "logged into MAMP". What you're doing there is accessing the MAMP mysql command line client, which is an interface for interacting with MAMP's MySQL installation. All you can do with the mysql> prompt is interact with the database. PEAR is a PHP library that must be installed on your server and has nothing to do with MySQL.

Your first attempt was on the right path, it's a matter of finding out whether MAMP installed PEAR or not. If so, then MAMP's PEAR must be invoked (look for a `pear` file within one of MAMP's `bin` directories). If not, then PEAR must be installed for MAMP. If you search for "MAMP" and "PEAR" on Google, you'll probably come up with what you need.

• 4 months later...