Larry Ullman's Book Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dmx1

add_to_cart procedure

Hi Larry,

Regarding the stored procedure on page 231, which is below

DELIMITER $$
CREATE PROCEDURE add_to_cart (uid CHAR(32), usr_id INT(6), type VARCHAR(12), pid MEDIUMINT, qty TINYINT)
BEGIN
DECLARE cid INT;
SELECT id INTO cid FROM carts WHERE user_session_id=uid AND product_type=type AND product_id=pid;
IF cid > 0 THEN
UPDATE carts SET quantity=quantity+qty, date_modified=NOW() WHERE id=cid;
ELSE
INSERT INTO carts (user_session_id, users_id, product_type, product_id, quantity) VALUES (uid, usr_id, type, pid, qty);
END IF;
END$$
DELIMITER ;

I am trying to modify the original 'add_to_cart' procedure by adding the parameters 'usr_id' and 'em' parameters, which represent the user id and email from the users table.

In the carts table, I put these values as DEFAULT NULL.

Every time I press the 'add to cart' button, no items are added to the shopping cart. The message that is shown is 'The Shopping Cart is Empty'

I have tried to figure out why no items are being added to the shopping cart. I know the problem is with the 'add_to_cart' procedure that I have modified, because when I add the original procedure, items are added to the shopping cart, which is what I want. But for some reason, my modified version is not working.

I have only added an extra two parameters, but this somehow, stops items from being added to the shopping cart.

Can you let me know what I am doing wrong please.

My modified version of the 'add_to_cart procedure is below.

Thanks

DELIMITER $$
CREATE PROCEDURE add_to_cart (uid CHAR(32), usr_id INT, em VARCHAR(80), type VARCHAR(12), pid MEDIUMINT, qty TINYINT)
BEGIN
DECLARE cid INT;
SELECT id INTO cid FROM carts WHERE user_session_id=uid  AND product_type=type AND product_id=pid;
IF cid > 0 THEN
UPDATE carts SET quantity=quantity+qty, date_modified=NOW() WHERE id=cid;
ELSE
INSERT INTO carts (user_session_id, users_id, email, product_type, product_id, quantity) VALUES (uid, usr_id, em, type, pid, qty);
END IF;
END$$
DELIMITER ;

That's fantastic! Kudos! For the benefit of others, would you kindly share what the problem and solution were? Thanks!

No items were being added to the cart for some strange reason. The structure looked fine, so I didn't understand why no items were being added.

I put the default value of the user_id in my cart table, which is an int, as NULL. This is not allowed.

The default value should be '0'.

After I adjusted it, it worked fine!!