Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Twitter Bootstrap

Edward

Oh, i am lost for words, i have checked out the Twitter Bootstrap and found this is just incredible. A massive time saver with regards to CSS and styling. It makes me wonder why Yii don't use this as there base CSS over the blueprints as their default CSS. Twitter Bootstrap is so good its even worth writing and article on. Ah its just amazing, so easy to use and so many examples. We are all blessed with such a great framework, amazing.

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/index.html

So glad i was reading this forum and noticed Larry and Jonathon talking about it, i will be implementing this into the Yii framework project i have today and scrapping blueprints. Thanks guys you are awesome!

• Upvote 1

Twitter Bootstrap is pretty great, especially if you don't have any design skills like me. As for why Yii doesn't use it by default, I couldn't say. I would hazard to guess that it's partly because Twitter Bootstrap hasn't been around that long. Also, Twitter Bootstrap is a bit heavy to include for everyone's use.

But I think I'll discuss using it with a Yii-based site in the book.

Yes i love it i have some CSS skills but most of what i needed taken care of is done by this framework. Blueprints only supplied the grids and reset css but wasn't as smooth and as useful.

I have something i would like to ask about, i have installed the framework and have kind of hack the validation rules so that yii now works with the twitter bootstrap validation.

<div class="control-group error">
<label class="control-label" for="inputError">Input with error</label>
<div class="controls">
<input type="text" id="inputError">
<span class="help-inline">Please correct the error</span>
</div>
</div>

This was the way the validation should be implemented via css which i have done. The only trouble is i had to setup a conditional statement $modelUser->getError('email') so i can could add the error class to the control-group. So my question is, is there and easier way to do this stuff or do we just hack it together like this to get the FaceBook thing, done is better than perfect?

Spend all weekend working on my site css with bootstrap. I actually noticed eBay were using it but with my expertise my site ended up looking better than ebay. I had to make edits in some of the yii class files to get the framework to correspond with bootstrap this worries me a little as installing new framework updates may overwrite these. So back to coding tomorrow and waiting for sir Larry's tutorials this week. I plan on finishing my main site functionality by june. When i get it done Larry I will get you the Death Star.

I got to admit I really love Twitter Bootstrap. You can create really beautiful design with a very small stylesheet overriding Bootstrap's defaults. I've been waiting for such a thing for a long time. While other frameworks might be good, no-one has ever collection everything from button design to different form layouts in a framework (and succeed). Twitter Bootstrap understands what you generally need in a framework.

I started out as a web designer, and have tried several of these framework. Bootstrap is the first one I've liked.

• Upvote 1

Yeah i am still trying to get my head around it, it is to me in some words a miracle, i thought i was going to have to spend hours and hours trying to figure out that CSS stuff myself. Now we have lots of time for development thanks to TB and Yii.

Edward, yes, some people have done very well, in part using what they've learned from me, including, most famously, the creator of Stripe (http://www.quora.com/Specific-Quora-Users/How-did-Patrick-Collison-learn-programming). It's great to see and extremely flattering. But, at the end of the day, my work is just a resource, and success is still an individual's accomplishment. I wish you success in your endeavor, too.

The responsiveness to Twitter Bootstrap is just a bonus to me, but a huge bonus. I initially liked being able to create a nice layout and effects without any design skills. Someone recommended Twitter Bootstrap to me some time ago, but it wasn't until I chose a new WordPress theme for my blog that I really used it (the theme is based on Bootstrap). I've since used it on two or three other sites. Like any framework, once you learn how to use it (and Twitter Bootstrap is very easy to learn), it pays off many times over.

How great is it that people will develop such things and then release it for everyone to use for free?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...