Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Yii Vs Laravel

abderrahmane

Yes, many people seem to like Laravel. I've not used it myself, though. But no one can answer what is the easiest framework for you to start with but you. Different people learn in different ways and like different things. My recommendation would be to spend an afternoon or day trying to use one. Then spend an afternoon or day trying to use the other. Then you can decide which is the better fit for you.

Yii has a long history starting off with prado. No idea what kind of experience the other guys have nor have i ever heard of them. If i was you i would try to find something that has been around for a while tried and tested. There are many people online saying things are good but as you know the internet can be fulled with bullshits comments.

• 3 months later...

Kind of an older topic but I thought I'd chime in here.    I've used CakePHP, Yii, Laravel and played a little with CodeIgniter.   I've been a fan of Yii for a while, but recently started developing a new project in Laravel.  For me Laravel is just easier.  It took me a couple of months to build up a decent proficiency with Yii.  I hadn't even heard of laravel until a month or two ago and I've already built several projects with it in a fraction of the time I spent with Yii trying to do the same thing.  

Both frameworks have great online resources & tutorials to show you the basics and the more comfortable you are with OOP going in the easier it will be to learn either one.

Laravel is generally consider to be a really good framework. It has a fast-paced development schedule, is developed by a large community using GitHub, and is generally a really solid piece of work. It can be installed using Composer, utilizes the PSR-1standard, (namespaced class) is loosly-coupled, so you can utilize parts of the framework in your projects, is based on the MVC pattern and uses routing.

Without really diving into any of the frameworks, I would say Laravel looks best on paper. The YII 2 Framework has to do some serious work before it can really compare to Laravel's code quality. However, that does not mean it's a better framework for YOU. Do as Larry said and check out both. I think YII really makes sense from my coding background, and it's definitely an awesome framework.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend YII after looking at how the Framework works and after reading Larry's book. That is also a solid argument for YII; You won't find an equally good resource teaching you Laravel. Larry has a magical talent for teaching away stuff. That's worth it's weight in gold.

First, skidz7, one thing to consider is that the second or third X that you learn is something you'll probably learn faster than the first or second. So it's possible that Laravel seems faster than Yii just because you learned Yii first, then Laravel. Perhaps if the order were reverse, you'd think Yii is faster. And to be clear, I'm not making an argument for or against either, I'm just saying that in general, having learned a similar technology once, variations on that technology will be mastered faster.

Thomas, thank you very, very much for the nice words. Kind of you to say.

I still have not used Laravel, as I don't really have the need right now, but I've heard nothing but good things about it and I can definitely appreciate the arguments for Laravel. I thought there was a pretty good book on Laravel, but again, I haven't read it. 

• 1 month later...

Laravel first impressions 

Seems to be built on top of Symfony which is why I went looking for other frameworks in the first place. No Symfony, Yii wins.

Better support for database migrations in Laravel? Maybe Larry can add migrations as a chapter in his Yii Book. Seems like it should have received treatment in his chapter on databases at least.

David

David, I am planning on covering migrations in the advanced database chapter. Ironically, I'm also considering using Symfony as my example third-part code in another chapter. What are your arguments against Symfony?

Guest Deleted

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend YII after looking at how the Framework works and after reading Larry's book. That is also a solid argument for YII; You won't find an equally good resource teaching you Laravel. Larry has a magical talent for teaching away stuff. That's worth it's weight in gold.

If I was looking for a new framework, I would weigh that fact heavily in my decision. Clear explanations are a huge deal to me. My patience is very limited when it comes to resources that talk to me like I'm already an expert.