Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Has anyone here used a debugger for PHP (such as Zend or XDebug)?

I started using it a bit, and I'm only able to debug the page I select for debugging. Is it possible to debug a website while I'm actually using it? For example, I login to the site, and then visit a page where I perform an action that queries MySQL, and then visit another page to do something else, etc. Is it possible for me to debug all those pages as I browse through them?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here used a debugger for PHP (such as Zend or XDebug)?

I started using it a bit, and I'm only able to debug the page I select for debugging. Is it possible to debug a website while I'm actually using it? For example, I login to the site, and then visit a page where I perform an action that queries MySQL, and then visit another page to do something else, etc. Is it possible for me to debug all those pages as I browse through them?

You will need a IDE such as netbeans an eclipse based IDE (free) or phpStorm from jetbrains (commercial).

I personally use phpStorm and have Xdebug setup it connects to Xdebug via firefox in my case and steps through the code line by line, you can also set watches on variables and it makes debugging complex PHP rather simple. This is NOT possible with a text editor like PsPad etc...

That is the only way I know of is to use a 3rd party IDE specifically for PHP and the walk through the code line by line as it executes. I like seeing the variables populate and see where my code breaks at which line. Makes it very easy to debug.

I chose a commercial software but there are free software too, I just tested out as many options as I could and the paid software just worked better for me. Though there are other options besides the two I listed above.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...