Larry Ullman's Book Forums

General Question About Stored Procedures

In chapter 3, I couldn't seem to get the exercise to work successfully when trying to invoke a MySQL stored function. I received a syntax error on line 1 even though I copy and pasted the author's script. I use a hosting site to complete the exercises and the version of MySQL that they support is 5.0.91-log and myPHPAdmin version 2.8.0.1. I can only interact directly with the database through myPHPAdmin.

When I contacted the customer support at the hosting service, they tersely replied that they don't support stored procedures through myPHPAdmin. Has anyone heard of this limitation?

Yes, my hosting service has the same limitation. In general, I've found the following limitations to be in effect for almost all shared hosting:

1) No stored procedures

2) No socket access

3) Limited number of DBs that can be created

And probably more. It all comes down to sharing a host with a bunch of other accounts and not having root access.

As a result though, I've started used prepared statements for everything instead of stored procedures.

They can be slightly slower, but they're more flexible, just as secure, and easier to code in a way because all the logic is kept on the PHP side.