$url = 'http://freegeoip.net/csv/'.$ip;

// Open the connection:
        $fp = fopen($url, 'r');
        if (!$fp) {
                echo "Error opening url:".$url." for ip: ".$ip."<BR>";
                return false;
        }

---------------------------------------

My contstructor calls a function which returns a value if a connection can't be made 

But contstructor cannot have a return statement.

I thought I would use the class like this

// Create it new object:
$cs = new CSession($ip);

if ($cs->where) {
------------------------------------

Can I get a hint how an experienced php oop guy might do this?

Several ways.

1. Cast an exception. This is probably the best solution. If you can't open the connection, that break application crucial functionality. That's worthy of an exception in my mind. Objects that has errors (real errors) should not be created. That's an important principle.

2. Create a standalone setter and force a call to that instead. You already have this, but you change it's modifier to public instead. That way, you can easily check the result of the method. This method should return an exception if errors occur non-the-less, so I suggest number one instead. This solution might be viable if you find ways to possibly find a solution, like checking several URLs and that sort of things.

In my mind, this seems like an exception case. If it's not valid, it's an exceptional state and should not work. If it breaks main functionality, always trow exceptions.

Thank you sir.

But, would

$cs = new CSESSION($ip);

call the same class

as

$cs = new CSession($ip);

I thought that classes were or are case sensitive?

I have been coding JavaScript a little to much I forgot. Sorry if my post is off topic. I do find that if I do not code in a certain language for a while BOY do I get Rusty ;) and ofcourse I love coding php. I would love to remember everything that I learn however that seems to not be the case in my small programming life.

jp

Ah. I did not pick up on that. I see now that the class definition is in uppercase while the object initiation is camel case. Sorry about that, Jaepee. You are correct.

gmgj: You need to change the class definition. Secondly, you should change the visibility on your properties and use setters and getters instead. That's the principle of encapsulation.

• Upvote 1