Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Wamp Discussion Which Version Is Easiest To Add To

I started out using EasyPHP.  Its been very helpful getting me accustomed to PHP syntax and conventions.  One of the problems with Easy is that its not super simple to install things like pear etc.

I have done a little research and am considering Bitnami, Zend Community edition and xampp. If you want to share pros and cons, please do.  I briefly considered installing multiple WAMPS for the same user until I came to the realization that I would probably have multiple php.exe and the first one found in the path would be the one executed.

I am adding packages and addons and tools that should easily work with the chosen distro

Zend
Pear
Curl
Expat
xdebug
WebCodeSniffer

I should start by saying that I don't regularly use Windows, so I don't have a lot of day-to-day experience here. But from what I have seen, Zend Community is not the easiest to use, although it's full-featured. XAMPP is what I normally recommend, although I like Bitnami, too, especially if you know you want to use one of the applications that Bitnami supports. 

My first choice was XAMPP; however, on install it recommended essentially dropping UAC.  If something needs elevated permissions, I don't mind using the little sudo type box to say its okay.  So I went with Bitnami.  I used the Bitnami forums and got a nice informative reply to my question.  I installed the Directory Listing Script  by Ash Young at www.evoluted.net as my web start page and I can use it in much the same way as I used PHPEasy.