Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Losing $_Get Values After Pressing Reload Button

Larry,

First time poster. Just starting out with PHP, finding your PHP for the Web:Visual QuisckStart Guide exactly what I need to help me understand how to do PHP. I plan to purchase your advanced version of PHP and SQL as soon as I finish this book.

I have written an inquiry program with one page for the header and another for the detail. When a link for the line item on the first page is clicked, I pass the order# associated with that line item via the URL to the second page as a $_GET.  On the second page, I use a $_GET for the order# and use that order# in my SQL statement. This works fine, it brings up all the detail lines associated with that header order#.

However, I have a drop down selection on that second screen where the user can select to display only a certain status type. After the page has been displayed the first time, if they make a selection and then press a reload button on that screen, the order# is now blank and the query fails.

I have a session_start; at the very beginning of the 2nd screen.

This is my $_GET stmt:

$ordernbr = $_GET["ordernbr"];

This is my query select stmt:

$query_stmt = "SELECT * FROM MYLIB/SOMEFILE where f1dsorn = $ordernbr";

This is my reload statement:

<input type="submit" class="button" value="Reload">

I have an echo of the $ordernbr, and when the Reload button is pressed the value becomes null.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to save the $ordernbr when the reload button is pressed?

Thanks in advance.

Roy

Hello, Roy. Welcome to the forums. I hope you find them helpful.

I think you have a few options:

1) Store the $ordernbr value in a hidden input in the form on the second page, and then grab that value from the $_POST superglobal when you post the form with the "Reload" button.

2) Save the $ordernbr into a cookie or session.

3) Use JavaScript and Ajax to change part of the form dynamically without actually reloading the page. (This is rather advanced and not really recommended. I more am just presenting it here because it is a possibility.)

Of the three options, I probably wouldn't attempt #3 unless you want a serious challenge.

#2 is a very viable option, but I'm not sure if Larry talks about cookies/sessions in the book, so I'd check that first.

So that leaves us with option #1.

Basically, when you are using PHP to write the HTML for the form on the second page, add am extra hidden input element (I think Larry talks about these in the book) with a value equal to the $ordernbr variable. That way, when you post the second form by clicking the "Reload" button, that $ordernbr value will be posted and accessible in the $_POST superglobal under the name set for the hidden input.

Does that make sense?

• Upvote 3