Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Is It Necessary To Install Php Gd For Image Resizing?

Hello everyone,

I am currently writing a script that allows users to create a profile. They upload an image, and using Larry's

code, it saves it in a folder outside the web directory. Because users could theoretically upload images of

any width and/or height, I decided that I wanted to resize them during the upload to constrain their size. I

found a highly recommended script by a guy named Mike Lopez that does exactly what I wanted (although

it appears to be mainly for loading/resizing images from other URLs). The problem is that it was written in

2006, and the sparse documentation says that I must install the PHP GD extension to use the functions in

the script (i.e. ImageCreateFromJPEG ($img)). I Googled PHP GD and found out that it was an extended

library for manipulating image files. To further complicate things, I've also found out that there is a GD 2!

The instructions on php.net say:

To enable GD-support configure PHP --with-gd[=DIR] , where DIR is the GD base install directory. To use

the recommended bundled version of the GD library (which was first bundled in PHP 4.3.0), use the configure

option --with-gd . GD library requires libpng and libjpeg to compile.

Do I still need to do this with PHP 5? It just seems like a lot of extra nonsense to do something as simple as

manipulate image sizes! I am doing all my testing on a web host, so PHP GD might already be installed there.

Does anyone have any experience with manipulating images with PHP or using PHP GD?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Hi Matt,

I fairly recently was playing around with some images and the GD library. I think you would need either GD library installed or PECLs Imagick. if you run phpinfo(); it will show you if it's installed. For instance this is my XAMPP read out:

gd

GD Support enabled

GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)

FreeType Support enabled

FreeType Linkage with freetype

FreeType Version 2.3.11

T1Lib Support enabled

GIF Read Support enabled

GIF Create Support enabled

JPEG Support enabled

libJPEG Version 7

PNG Support enabled

libPNG Version 1.2.40

WBMP Support enabled

XBM Support enabled

JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support enabled

Hope that helps, if not or you need any further help pop back I'm sure someone will be able to help you ;)

• Upvote 1