Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hello,

I am trying to follow along in the book. I am on page 135 number 2. "Insert One row of data into the users table WITHOUT naming the columns.Because I chose to use PHPmyadmin, I don't see how to do this. There is no example in the book. My instructor emailed me and said to use SQL Tab with Insert.. When I do this, I see the names of the columns in there.. Do I delete these? Not sure how to do this excersize with PHPmyadmin

Your instructor is absolutely right.

The interface for phpMyAdmin somewhat depends on the version you're using, but the column names on the right are there for quick reference. You don't (and can't) delete them. By double-clicking on them, you can quickly add column names to a query string without having to type everything by hand.

In order to execute #2 on page 135, simply type the query as presented in the book into the text area accessible from the SQL tab (as your instructor suggested).

Just to reiterate, try typing the SQL query into the text area under the SQL tab, and then click "Go". Assuming there are no syntax errors, the query should execute and return some sort of result.

• Upvote 1