Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Csecuritymanager, Behaviours

saniko

Larry,

Two quick questions:

1. From the 4.1 to 5.0 update, it looks like you moved away from CSecurityManager.  While I wasn't planning to use it (rather go blowfish with salt), is there a reason why you've opted not to go that route for the book?
  2. Looking through the table of contents, are you planning to discuss behaviours in the book?

I absolutely love the content so far.  You are amazing!

Take care,

-saniko

Thanks for the questions and for the nice words on the book. It is appreciate. I'm glad to hear you're liking the work so far. 

As for CSecurityManager, I liked the premise, but the use of hash_hmac() was curious, or less ideal. So I thought it'd be more straightforward to use hash_hmac() directly. I debated using crypt() and blowfish, but didn't want to get into a whole thing on encryption. My main attitude with security is that you always need to match the level of security to the application.

As for behaviors, yes, I am planning on discussing them, it's just a question of where. I introduce the topic in Chapter 13 (writing it now). Maybe I'll go into more depth in Part 3 of the book.

Thanks again!