Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chapter 5 Forum Script Missing On Downloads Page

There is one folder titled SQL commands in the downloads for this book and it is for an author's table..Where are the SQL commands for the Forums database in Chapter 5. All of the tutorials in that chapter are based on that database, so I would appreciate a link to the SQL file as I do not find it on downloads page.

It is actually Chapter 6. I have two of your books and in one of them it was in a different chapter. The forums database that is used for the Chapter SIX tutorials on Database design, and primary key's ect .. there is no sql commands to fill it with data if I create the database..

Okay I found the SQL commands nestled in the middle of the file. I copied and pasted into my PHP Myadmin SQL command prompt and I get an error on line one.

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'CHARSET utf8' at line 1

I looked at the code and it is exactly the same as yours and the books. All of the other SQL commands for other chapters work fine. I was hoping your command files were different as My instructor tried to figure out why this same error is happening with the file he provided to the class.. which gives the same error. He gave up and I can't give up as I need to learn this stuff and I can't learn it without a way to do the searches with the database.

You don't execute a CHARET command from within phpMyAdmin. The CHARSET in phpMyAdmin is configured in phpMyAdmin itself. CHARSET is used when connecting to MySQL from the command-line using the mysql client.

• Upvote 1