Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Site Displayed Without Css Or Images

Hello,

On the home page, it shows the parent and root directories, instead of displaying the actual website with homepage, images etc.

When I click "html" subdirectory, the homepage is shown without any formatting (Css) or images / dynamic content. 

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

My response may sound a little harsh but if you post this sort of topic on other forums you will get a much harsher response.

1. the book clearly states that it is not for beginners - if you are not able to resolve this problem, you will have difficulties with the rest of the book;

2. your problem is due to not understanding file structure;

3. to debug errors, you need to provide more information. What home page? Are you referring to the first or the second example in this book? Without more information about files, coding etc, there is not enough information to give you any kind of useful help.

Read the forum guidelines and you may want to start off with this book which is very good.

• Upvote 2

daniel, welcome to the forums.

I imagine margaux's response was a bit of a rude awakening as the first response to your first question on the forums, but I more or less agree with him.

If nothing else, if you want us to help you, you're going to have to provide some more information:

- Where are you placing your files? Are they stored locally with a virtual server, or are you uploading them to a hosting service's server? Either way, what folders are you putting stuff in?

- If you're seeing the directory structure for a folder, then that means that there aren't any actual files in the directory, which means that where you think the files and folders are is wrong.

- What do you mean by "html" subdirectory? If you're not seeing any CSS formatting, then your relative path (i.e., the path from your HTML file to your CSS file) is wrong, which is likely an effect of the root problem, which is that you don't properly understand your directory structure.

Please give us more information (as per the forum guidelines), and we'll try to help.

Also, as margaux stated, this is not a book for beginners.

• 3 months later...

I agree with the comments made above. If you are using a program like Dreamweaver you may have updated or created your css files but forgot to upload them. So it could be a problem as simple as not uploading ALL your files and not uploading them to the right place.

Marie

There's a few questions that would have to be answered for clarification - but if you have turned on the mod_rewrite feature and you're rewriting your URLS then you will likely get problems like this.
The trick i used to get around it on my own website is a html tag that goes within the <head> tag of your html markup called <base href="www.yourdomain.com">.
That's assuming this was a problem due to apache's mod_rewrite.

Your browser looks for the CSS and image files based on what is shown in the url, however as long as you set this tag then it creates a base directory for the browser to look at for all links on the page.
I'm no developer, but this is my basic understanding and fixed my similar problem.

• Upvote 1