Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chpt 5 Terminal Does Not Show Results Of Queries

I use a default installation of MAMP on a macbook running OS X.

I can carry out the exercises in MyPHPAdmin but when trying them from the 'Terminal' application I had issues :

I can open and sign-in and enter the queries as per chpt5 but I get no response i.e. the tables (part tables) shown in the screen shots do not appear in the window.

Neither am I getting any error messages.

Any ideas what blindingly obvious thing I'm missing.

Thank you

Incidentaly, entering a semi-colon after the SQL commands in the 'Terminal' window resulted in 'syntax error' statements.

Ok, I've just proved I'm a 'Newbie"<br /><br />I have been searching the MYSQL manual and re-reading the errors. I get the initial mysql-manual SQL queries to run but if I query anything else I get "access denied ''@localhost"<br />I'm guessing that is a privileges issue - help please

Okay solved and it is embarrassingly obvious if I've got this correct.

On page 121 is '/applications/mamp/library/bin/mysql' which is what I entered and got the mysql prompt.

On page 122 is 'mysql -u username -p' so I entered '-u username -p' after the mysql prompt and got nowhere!

Found '/applications/mamp/library/bin/mysql -u username -p' in manual and subsequently at the bottom of page 122 in the screenshot - happiness!!

Hope this thread saves somebody else a lot of time.

• Upvote 1