Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Best Format Or Apps For Reading Yii Book On Ipad

diarmuid

Hi

I've just bought the Yii book. I'm on a train, with about another hour to go, so I'd like to give it a read. It will pass the time, and I won't be disturbed!

On the bad side, my laptop battery has run out and there are no power sockets. So I have to work off my iPad for now. Are any of the formats better for iPad? In particular, is there a way I can highlight text or add my own notes?

Thanks

Diarmuid

Very good so far. I had gone through your Introduction to the Yii framework last weekend, and I really enjoyed it. So that made me want the book.

All the trains have Wifi, but only some have power sockets. So I'll have to work off the iPad sometimes. Which leads to a related question. How could I test PHP from the iPad?

I could use http://codepad.org/ for running small chunks of code. But it wouldn't be suitable for testing Yii apps.

There are iPad apps like Koder which let you type, publish and save PHP but not run it locally on the iPad. Koder will run Javascript though. Also, it uses a different keyboard with arrows, which is great for editing code. Arrow keys should be a standard feature on the iPad keyboard.

Anyone know of an iPad app that will actually run PHP locally?