Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Screen Reader Users And Ajax - Mutually Exclusive?

Guest Deleted

Guest Deleted

There are a couple blind people that play my browser-based game. I've thought about adding ajax to the site but it seems like it would be hard to let the screen reader people know that the page changed. Has anybody here found a solution to this problem? Is the solution to just let people turn the JavaScript features of the site off?

Guest Deleted

By turning JS off I meant turnning off the JS-features of the site. So, like, when you go to feed a dog, it would load a new page and tell you the dog is fed, rather than a message just show up in the middle of the page or something.

Edit: My site is a PBBG that focuses on breeding, raising and showing dos.

Guest Deleted

Yeah that's another thing. Even if there was no such thing as blind people with screen readers I'd still have to have two versions of my site to account for people who had javascript on and for people who have it off =\

This is what keeps me at an arms length from JavaScript. I want to embrace it but this makes me hesitant =\

Well, this is a big decision that you must make as a web developer, yes. I tend to always design my sites first with all PHP and no JS for this very reason. After the site is working well with just PHP, then I add JS and Ajax functionality on top as need be.

For a lot of people though, going that route adds time (and potentially cost) that they're not willing to spend when a vast majority of people always have JS enabled (and as far as I know, JS cannot be disabled on mobile browsers, from which site traffic is increasing more and more everyday).

Basically, you have to try to estimate what percentage of your users will have JS disabled, and ask yourself whether it's worth the time to provide for them. My answer has always been yes, but that doesn't mean it's so for everyone.