Larry Ullman's Book Forums

hello

I have xampp installed windows 8 and MySQL is turned on in xampp control panel.  Looking at Appendix A at the install instructions.   I am attempting to start the MySQL client to create a user name and password.   To start  I am entering in MySQL (in lowercase letters )  into run dialog box  getting this message.  Windows can not find MySQL.  Make sure you typed in the correct name and try again.  I have tried to create a user name and password in the past unsuccessfully while putting MySQL in run program.  Not sure if that  has any baring in this MySQL client situation.   The book goes on to say the MySQL client is accessed from the command line interface. In regards.  Perhaps I am  getting confused somewhere along the lines here. 

Also if possible one other set of questions please.   Depending on my server or computer I may need to enter the full path to start the application.  Using a windows computer it is  c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql. 

In Appendix A to use the MySQL client I can set a password by adding the following in command prompt.  SET PASS WORD FOR 'root'@' localhost' PASSWORD ('thepassword');  While creating a password by substituting  the word  password for a password  that is in perentices.   Not sure what's  first.  Should I  type in MySQL in the command line interface and then entering the full path to the application as I have stated in paragraphs 1 and 2 .  Or first  create the password as noted  in Appendix A such as  in paragraph 3 of this post.   

Sorry if this is all appearing vague or confusing.  But I can use some help to setting  up MySQL.  Which I am hoping will be the final time to post.  Thank you kindly. Have a good afternoon.    George. 

What you must do is to use the full path to mysql.bin or create an alias to it (so mysql really calls the full path behind the scenes). This link will teach you a little more about it: http://glamanate.com/2013/04/02/xampp-mysql-command-line/

Xampp btw ships with a GUI program that will allow you to start Apache and MySQL that what. You can then access your server through http://localhost/ and PHPMyAdmin though http://localhost/phpmyadmin

• Upvote 1

Re: Mr. Conte

Thanks for the tutorial.  After reviewing your tutorial and trying to implement  it in command prompt to create a user name or a password neither work.  Trying this for the better part of a day below this sentence I copied and paste everything that appears  in command prompt but with out the user name or password added in.   If you can  quickly look at it and explain  where the  error may lie.   Lastly I tried to take a snap shot of command prompt with the coding added in but it was some what difficult to view in this window. 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\George>C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.

Your MySQL connection id is 16

Server version: 5.5.27 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Copyright © 2000, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its

affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective

owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> cd ../ ../Program Files/xampp/mysql/bin/mysql.exe --user=root --password=

->

This line here:

Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
means you're in the command-line client. You don't need to do anything else and obviously you can get in without using a password.