Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Uk Based Payment Gateway Recommendations?

Hi all,

I have been creating a site with the help of Larrys ecommerce book, however have now hit a point where I am looking for any recommendations on UK based payment gateways. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Authorize.net requires a US or canadian merchant account which unfortunately makes it redundant for any of us Brits reading the book. Does anybody have any experience with them that can offer some advice.

Thanks, Alex

P.S. Larry the book is very well written and I have really enjoyed it so far. If you ever do another one or feel like adding some even more extras to the list could I recommend implementing product options. I know you do it partially with the coffee, however it would be great if there was a system where by each product could have any number of defined options and those options have options such as price increments etc.. I spent about two weeks trying to get mine working but eventually settled on just giving colours as an option. (However I think I might have thought out a new way to do it but it will have to wait now). Thanks for the great books that actually engage and interest me. Alex

Hi Larry L,

Thanks for the reply, I hope it is also still on the agenda as that would certainly be a useful solution and solve the problem.

Hope Larry can confirm this if it still is,

Alex

I am also based currently in England and it would be useful. But I'm also sure that paypal provide a lot of documentation and help in general for using website pro. It might be a good idea to check their docs as you might find the answer your after. I can't speak for Larry, but for reading between the lines of his newsletter/blogs he's busy writing the 4th edition of php and mysql, but from memory I do remember him saying he'd look into it for Larry L.

Thanks, Alex, for the nice words on the book and for the suggestion. It is appreciated. I am still planning on writing a tutorial for using PayPal WebSite Payments Pro, but I have to finish the book I'm currently working on first, so it'll be at least a couple/few weeks. Jonathon: you're right on the money.

Certainly there's a comparable alternative to Authorize.net to use in the UK, no?

Hi Larry & Jonathon,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Certainly there are comparable alternatives to authorize.net (Sage pay for one I believe) however I was wondering as much as anything if anybody had experience with some and any recommendations on them.

I'm sure like Jonathon said it should be simple enough to work through paypals documentations on web payments pro so I will likely look into that.

On a side note after this rewrite on php and mysql (i know that will hopefully contain a fair bit more mysql) and then your JavaScript book are there any plans on a new mysql book as I feel it's my weakest point but your last book is slightly out of date? I might be very wrong as I have not read it, but do you still feel it's relative to today's mysql or does your php & mysql book replace the mysql book? (I'm just going on publication date).

Thanks, keep up the great books as they make learning it all very enjoyable,

Alex

Hello Alex,

Yes, hopefully someone will have some input on a good payment system in the UK. I can't help on that one.

Thanks for the nice words on the books and for your interest in more. The MySQL: Visual QuickStart Guide may be slightly out of date by now, but not that out of date, I don't think. I'm away from my desk, so let me take a look at it again and give you a more precise answer.

• 4 weeks later...

You could contact your own bank or any other of the major banks where you are? I know in Australia all the major banks use payment gateways but for a fee...Alternatively, you could just use paypal or just the cart and put your bank account number on your site with relevant postal prices and information instead of incorporating a payment gateway with credit card processing.

Andrew

Thanks for the replies,

If the book is still relevant like you say then that's great and I will likely now buy it, just wanted to be sure. As for the gateway I have now finished incorporating web payments pro into the site and as far as I can make out it is all working fine. (Truth be told I found paypals documentation pretty shoddy but it was enough to help figure out implementation).

Thanks Alex

Thanks for the heads-up on PayPal and their documentation. It's always good to know.

Also, I literally just re-read the MySQL book yesterday and today (I had a lot of free time at work and wanted to review it). As far as I can tell, the content is still rock-solid and relevant.

Brilliant,

Thanks a lot for the info. Currently in Thailand at the moment so will buy when home in a couple of weeks, unless I decide to buy my fourth ebook of Larrys from amazon. (Rather not though, I find the layout very poor compared to the print version when I compare my hard ecommerce book to ebook).

Cheers for the reply, and if anybody wants info on how I implemented pay pal just shout but I can't promise it's that well done :)

Alex

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Alex, for the nice words on the book and for the suggestion. It is appreciated. I am still planning on writing a tutorial for using PayPal WebSite Payments Pro, but I have to finish the book I'm currently working on first, so it'll be at least a couple/few weeks. Jonathon: you're right on the money.

Certainly there's a comparable alternative to Authorize.net to use in the UK, no?

Hello Larry,

I was just wondering if you the tutorial for PayPal Website Payments Pro was still on the agenda?

Thanks.

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, it is, but there are still other (paying) priorities. I've been trying to finish up the PHP and MySQL book, which I almost have. Now I'm doing the videos that go with that, while doing research for the JavaScript book. Then I have to start writing that. So I do intend to write a tutorial on PayPal Website Payments Pro, but it's a lot of work (researching, writing the code, testing the code, and writing up the results). So, still on my radar, but because it's a bigger task, it gets pushed back more easily.

• 2 weeks later...