Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Social Media Site

artsyL

I already have three of your books (the most recent being effortless e-commerce...), and I'm looking to add a social media aspect to my current project.

I know almost nothing about frameworks because I prefer doing things from scratch and never really looked into it. What I do know is that I would like to have it finished within a year (from scratch would take much more time); and that reviews tend to give Elgg the best reviews for what I want to accomplish. The only reason I am leaning toward Yii is that you are writing a book on it, so my question is: Would Yii be a good choice for an image heavy social media site? 

It could very well be, yes. I'm betting you'll find libraries already written for handling image uploads, so that'll spare you a lot of hours of development time. The same applies to other frameworks, which is one of the reasons you'd maybe want to use one. The drawback is generally time spent learning how to use the framework, but a book will help speed that up.

There's no absolute truth here, so spend time doing some research and make up your mind that way. Playing with YII or another framework for a couple of days might pay off in the end.

• Upvote 1