Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Postal Shipping Rate Calculator

I have found your books to be very enjoyable and useful, Larry, so thanks!  My new E-Commerce web site is looking good, but I am in need of a postal shipping rate calculator.  What I'm looking for is a function that would accept origin and destination zip codes (U.S. only is fine for now) and package weight, and would return the rates of the major carriers, especially the USPS, UPS, and FedEx.  Can you make any recommendations?

Thanks for the nice words, Jim. Unfortunately, I can't make a recommendation here. I thought about writing up this specific topic in the first edition of the book but ran out of room.

There are two options:

1. Figure out how much shipping costs for the various services based upon your product's size and weight, the point of origination, and the destination. Then write a function that returns this information.

2. Use a service that does this for you.

My inclination would be the second option. Instead of a function, there would be a network API call to get the shipping possibilities.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but please let us know if you come up with something you like.