Larry Ullman's Book Forums

When Reading Data Into A Text Field From A Db, Safari Does Not Ignore White Space

Here's the code to read in a date from a db. The date itself, from the db table, contains no white space:

Date Created: <input type="text" name="datecreated" size="12" maxlength="10" value="<?php echo $row['dateCreated'] ?>"  /> yyyy-mm-dd<br />

If I go into my code and hit the return button after  value="  it looks like this:

Date Created: <input type="text" name="datecreated" size="12" maxlength="10" value="

<?php echo $row['dateCreated'] ?>"  /> yyyy-mm-dd<br />

In Firefox, this has no effect a-as it should. However Safari will insert a space before the date value in the text field. This is a problem because the value for date within the form will not validate when it hits the space.

Even if I insert a trim() in the above line:

Date Created: <input type="text" name="datecreated" size="12" maxlength="10" value="<?php echo trim($row['dateCreated']) ?>"  /> yyyy-mm-dd<br />

it still inserts a space.

I've never considered the arbitrary code formatting practice of hitting a return anywhere I want. Has anyone else run into this?

I don't really understand the point here. You said:

If I go into my code and hit the return button after value="

How about you don't do that? YOU are the one introducing the extra space within the value attribute. This isn't a user issue and it doesn't really matter what the different browsers do. Just don't do that. This is an entirely solvable and controllable problem.

Sorry. It's not that I couldn't get it to work after taking out the returns in my code. I was just curious because I tend to enter returns in Dreamweaver code view to break lines into a more visually understandable format. I never knew it could cause a problem.

I will withdraw the question.