Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Manually

Hello Larry,

I recently bought your book and am working on building my online store.

I'd like to know, based on experience and after all the coding detailed on your book is done (with the exception of entering new and updating existing products and sales), what, if any, steps in the entire customer buying/ordering process requires manual human work?

Are ALL the gateway procedures, response codes processed/inserted/updated automatically?

Does the admin at need to manually confirm or update any table relating to an order?

Thanks in advance for your expert replies.

Katy

Thanks for the interest in the book. There are two examples in the book, but since you're talking about physical products, I'll assume we're talking about the second model. All of the gateway procedures, response codes, etc. are processed and recorded automatically. The admin would worry about fulfilling orders and being attentive to any problems that might occur. The admin would also manage inventory. All the table updates would be done through admin scripts (e.g., marking orders as completed and updating inventory). 

Of course, at the end of the day, it's really a matter of what you want to build and how you want to do it.