Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Larry & Guys, When Finishing The Book, How To Get Real Php Project Experiences?

I am trying to do my best, to learn PHP through Larry's book; also I am reading another PHP book named Murach's PHP and MySQL. I love this language and all web-related technologies.

How can I get some real PHP project experiences? Coz I want to get a job as a web developer. Maybe to check some opportunities on freelance.com? Or just send my resume to those job ads and see if I can get an interview?(but I have no real PHP experience yet...)

Also I think one important way to learning each programming language is to study good source code. What are some nice PHP source code that are suitable for studying? Some suggested to read the source code of WordPress or Zend Framework.

Without any real experience you're going to have a hard time getting a freelance gig, let alone a real, full time job. You'll be wasting your time sending out resumes unless you've got a computer science degree, certificates, and a portfolio.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start by creating web sites for yourself, for your friends, and for your family as a way to build experience and a portfolio. If you have friends or family that have small businesses that need a web site, that'd be great. 

Studying source code is a good theory, but the problem is that most great code will probably be too complex for you to appreciate. The Zend Framework is a huge body of code, not for the faint of heart. WordPress is both huge and a mess. One could definitely argue that WordPress isn't code you should emulate. 

Larry, thanks for your advice. Though the fact is a little disappointing, I plan to do the follow things:

1. I will create a website myself, using HTML5, JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, from scratch.

2. I will keep an eye on some PHP part-time job to gain experience, and ask round my friends and family if they have such demands.

3. I start to prepare for the Zend PHP certification exam while learning PHP by reading your book. Also for Javascript & HTML5, I plan to take Microsoft's relative certification.

I worked in IT industry for many years, but the technologies I used to do is way different from web development, so I'm basically a newbie in web development. But I want some change in my life and I want to become a web developer. I know this will not be easy for me(maybe it's easy for a java developer to learn PHP or JavaScript), but I still want to give it a shot, and if I got any progress I will update it on the forum.