Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Prg

Edward

Hi Larry i know you are a busy man but i would like to see how you would implement this successfully in Yii, i need this all over my website and i haven't found any method that successfully works yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post/Redirect/Get

If anyone has any methods that work for duplicate submission please let me know below, i tried a few and they failed to work.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2133964/how-to-prevent-multiple-inserts-when-submitting-a-form-in-php

Even this forum cannot protect against it when JS is disabled, so what is the solution?

Just an update i did get some positive from this but if you redirect the browser back it still does duplicate submissions. By the way i am well aware how to stop this with Javascript, what i am looking for is a bullet proof php solution.

1. Use PHP sessions to set a session variable (for example $_SESSION['posttimer']) to the current timestamp on post. Before actually processing the form in PHP, check if the $_SESSION['posttimer'] variable exists and check for a certain timestamp difference (IE: 2 seconds). This way, you can easily filter out double submits.

Example:

// form.html
    <form action="foo.php" method="post">
    <input type="text" name="bar" />
    <input type="submit" value="Save">
    </form>

// foo.php
    if (isset($_POST) && !empty($_POST))
    {
    if (isset($_SESSION['posttimer']))
    {
    if ( (time() - $_SESSION['posttimer']) <= 2)
    {
    // less then 2 seconds since last post
    }
    else
    {
    // more than 2 seconds since last post
    }
    }
    $_SESSION['posttimer'] = time();
    }

Update what i could do is create another controller action user/createsuccess for example redirect to this after user/create, then if the user tried to click back they will be at user/createsuccess where you could then redirect them back to the page after. :)

I have been working on other stuff and have to come back to this but as far as i know the Session tokens don't work with refreshing or clicking browser back button so you need to use POST/REDIRECT/GET design pattern. I will test both and let you know what i come up, all the online help is very iffy.