Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Can Stripe Be The Only One?

I noticed, a while back, that Larry had instituted only Stripe as his method of payment for the Yii book. Then, he added PayPal. Why?

I'm wondering if Stripe can truly be the only offering for payment on my site. I'd rather not go the tedious PayPal or other payment gateway route. I would love to hear that Stripe can pull all the weight on its own.

Lori

Hey Lori. Good question! You don't have to do anything, of course. Obviously I love Stripe, and Stripe is crazy-easy to integrate. If you're in a supported country (https://stripe.com/global/), you can use Stripe and anyone anywhere in the world that has an acceptable credit card can pay on your website. But if your customers don't have an accepted credit card, you're out of luck. And some customers prefer PayPal, for whatever reason. 

As a developer, I always recommend maximizing avenues for payment, which means using both Stripe and PP. But it really comes down to your market and your product. Is there limited competition? Would customers likely have an approved payment method? 

Thanks so much, Larry. That was a good explanation. I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time.

I must say that I consider you the best teacher around. I covet your books, and I have done things I never dreamed possible because of your excellent instruction. I am very eager to get my hand on the newly revised Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL. 

Keep up the good work.

All my best to you,

Lori