Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Example Code Running Problems

Hi

As a newcomer to php i am trying to run the example scripts but i am not doing well up to now! Maybe a trivial question but is there a bit detailed guide cause even copypasting the code in a html and a php file in the same directory (htdocs/something) does not seem to work! I have installed xampp and apache which seem to be running ok, but i have some problems like the $_POST not taking any values from the html file, etc. i tried netbeans but for me it is a little bit complicated. Thanks in advance for any help!

I created (netbeans) a new php project (i can not find how to create a simple php file/script), renamed it from index (by saving as ...) and placed it in the suggested by netbeans folder "PhpProject1", at C:\xampp\htdocs\PhpProject1. Maybe silly, but thats my level of programming skills :). When i type the above url (in Chrome) i get
Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404 localhost
Apache/2.4.4 (Win32) OpenSSL/0.9.8y PHP/5.4.19

NOTE When i type localhost now,  i get a directory listing!

This is the project code

<!DOCTYPE html>
<!--
To change this license header, choose License Headers in Project Properties.
To change this template file, choose Tools | Templates
and open the template in the editor.
-->
<html>
    <head>
        <meta charset="UTF-8">
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <?php
        echo "put your code here";
        ?>
    </body>
</html>

System

Windows NT IDEAPAD 6.2 build 9200 (Unknown Windows version Home Premium Edition) i586

Build Date

Aug 21 2013 01:07:08

Compiler

MSVC9 (Visual C++ 2008)

Architecture

x86

Configure Command

cscript /nologo configure.js "--enable-snapshot-build" "--disable-isapi" "--enable-debug-pack" "--without-mssql" "--without-pdo-mssql" "--without-pi3web" "--with-pdo-oci=C:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient10\sdk,shared" "--with-oci8=C:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient10\sdk,shared" "--with-oci8-11g=C:\php-sdk\oracle\instantclient11\sdk,shared" "--enable-object-out-dir=../obj/" "--enable-com-dotnet=shared" "--with-mcrypt=static" "--disable-static-analyze" "--with-pgo"

Server API

Apache 2.0 Handler

Virtual Directory Support

enabled

Configuration File (php.ini) Path

C:\WINDOWS

Loaded Configuration File

C:\xampp\php\php.ini

Scan this dir for additional .ini files

(none)

Additional .ini files parsed

(none)

PHP API

PHP Extension

Zend Extension

Zend Extension Build

API220100525,TS,VC9

PHP Extension Build

API20100525,TS,VC9

Debug Build

no

Thread Safety

enabled

Zend Signal Handling

disabled

Zend Memory Manager

enabled

Zend Multibyte Support

provided by mbstring

IPv6 Support

enabled

DTrace Support

disabled

Registered PHP Streams

php, file, glob, data, http, ftp, zip, compress.zlib, compress.bzip2, https, ftps, phar

Registered Stream Socket Transports

tcp, udp, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls

Registered Stream Filters

convert.iconv.*, mcrypt.*, mdecrypt.*, string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, dechunk, zlib.*, bzip2.*

I try the examples creating one html form and one php script and when i load the html form through a url the script is executed (sometimes!) but the POST or GET superglobals return no value (from the form input) they are just returned as strings! So i think there is no communication between the html and the php scipt! Or i am doing something wrong! (Neewbie you see!)

OK, I put the two files at the htdocs directory (not in a separate folder) and everything worked out! I really thank you for your time, guys! My next question would be now how can i save the examples of the book each on its own directory (under htdocs) and test them? Do i have to tweak the actual code or the web server or what? 

PS

i typed http://localhost/posting.html  entered some text etc, and when  i got the reply the URL was http://localhost/handle_post.php!

PS2

I live in Greece so the time difference is quite much and i do not answer fast!

Please disregard my last posting! I can run the scripts even from other directories i make! The main point was that i did not load the form through a URL, as Larry suspected (that's why he is the writer of books and we the readers :)