Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hello Larry,

I am working my way through Effortless E-Commerce and can't seem to create a stored procedure using the downloadable code from your site. My issue I believe is my version of phpMyAdmin 2.8.0.1 isn't supporting delimiters. I continually get this error. Is there a way to work around this?

Error

SQL query: b_help.png

DELIMITER $$ CREATE PROCEDURE select_categories( TYPE VARCHAR( 6 ) ) BEGIN IF TYPE = 'coffee' THEN SELECT * 
FROM general_coffees
ORDER BY category;

MySQL said: b_help.png

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DELIMITER $$
CREATE PROCEDURE select_categories (type VARCHAR(6))
BEGIN
IF ty' at line 1 

• 1 month later...

I just ran into this as well but only when trying to create stored procedures on my remote/hosted.

My host (1&1) is using phpmyadmin 2.6.4, really old as is yours. In addition to the MYSQL version above, you'll need a later version of phpmyadmin to support routines. The currrent version is 4.1.5, as of Jan 22, 2014.

I'd upgrade, and point to the new phpmyadmin.

If you're not using localhost and stuck with the old phpmyadmin on a host, you can upload a newer phpmyadmin to it and point it to your remote database.