Larry Ullman's Book Forums

A Good Artical On Securing Uploadef Files

Thanks, bahaa.

Just one thing. I don't mean to play moderator wannabe here, but as I manage a forum of my own, I recommend you to give some additional info. You should make this possible to discuss too.

Thanks Antonio,

I am still learning and was searching for tips on how to secure files upload and found the link above and thought it might be useful for the member of this forum since most of us new to the php.

I read both your links, but some addition information about what it is, and possible some matter to discuss, would be even better.

That's all I'm saying. :)

I hear what you saying.

I have a question and it got nothing to do with this topic, but I don't wanna open another thread. 2 threads today are enough.

My question is how to display certain amount of text from a row.

for example: you have a row with very long text, and you only want to display some of this text and then add a link to the full details.

Do you know how to display the desired amount of text ?

I haven't read the links, as I too and watching the champions league final. But you can use MYSQL to pull the first x number of characters from the text. It's something like LEFT(body, 200). That might not be totally correct, but it's along those lines. Where LEFT is start of the text and body is the column and 200 is the number of characters. Hope that helps, apologies if it's been answered, I haven't had the time to read all the threads and links

I haven't read the links, as I too and watching the champions league final. But you can use MYSQL to pull the first x number of characters from the text. It's something like LEFT(body, 200). That might not be totally correct, but it's along those lines. Where LEFT is start of the text and body is the column and 200 is the number of characters. Hope that helps, apologies if it's been answered, I haven't had the time to read all the threads and links

Thank you.

It works 100%.

I have seen the substr before, but this one is something new to me :).

Not sure which one is better from performance prospective.

Performance wise I would suggest that letting MySQL do all the work would be better. Rather than letting MySQL retrieve the text and then making php act on it.

Thanks Jonathon.

You are very helpful.

Do you know if one of Larry's books cover one of these topics:

1- Creating a search engine.

2- Poll system.

3- Mailing list.

If not, I hope that Larry would consider these topics in coming edition, specially the search engine since it is a basic thing in any website.

I already bought his book PHP 5 Advanced, but I did not read it yet, so I don't know if he covers any of the above topics in the book.

Obviously Larry is the best man for this question but I have the ecommerce, php6 and mysql 5 and php advanced. And I don't think they cover the topics mentioned. But he does talk about full text searching in php 6 and mysql 5 which he is just re writing. And he has also written a piece on ajaxfying a product rating system (I think). If you search the website (not the foum) you should be able to find it. Also he does talk about how to use zend lucene in a search engine. Again searching the site should bring up the article.

1- Creating a search engine.

If you want your user to search within your site you might like sphider. I found out about it at Larry's old forum (still available for reading but not posting). I use it on my site and I like it a lot. I only use a few features, to save my time learning it all, but it has a lot of capabilities which you might be able to alter that code instead of start from scratch.

I have not explained how to create any of those, nor do I intend to in a book. Each is to complex and specific to make a good book example. Moreover, with PHP, you can find free, good programs that do all of those for you already.