Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Value Vs Cookie Value

Hi,

Here are two quotes from Creating Cookie Library example:

Begin looping through the cookies:

for (var i = 0, count = cookies.length; i < count; i++) {
                var value = (cookies.slice(0,1) == ‘ ‘) ? cookies.slice(1) : cookies;

... some browsers add a space in between the cookie values in document.cookie.

Decode the value:

value = decodeURIComponent(value);

Would not it be better if instead of "cookie values" we use just "cookies" (... some browsers add a space in between the cookies in document.cookie. )

and

"Decode the cookie" instead of "Decode the value"?

Is it correct to say that "some browsers add a space in between the cookies in document.cookie" INSTEAD OF "some browsers add a space in between the cookie values in document.cookie" ???

Thank you in advance!

I dunno. I think those are rather minor differences. But if you like it your way, that's fine, too.

Thanks. I think that using "Cookies" instead of "Cookie values" is more correct (in the quotes above), because "cookie value" is just a part of the cookie (name-value, duration... )... but not sure, and it does not seem so important... Anyway, thank you again!

QuakeLive, I have to agree with Larry on this one that you're splitting semantic hairs. I don't think it really matters one way versus the other, as they mean the same thing.

Of course, your argument that a single cookie string is a name-value combination is valid, but still, I think that context more often than not clears up any ambiguity about what "cookie value" is referring to.

• Upvote 1

At the beginning, I thought that I didn't understand some things about cookies well and that's why I asked:

Is it correct to say that "some browsers add a space in between the cookies in document.cookie" INSTEAD OF "some browsers add a space in between the cookie values in document.cookie" ???

After that, I just gave my opinion, "splitting semantic-hairs" (or some kind of provocation by trying to find someone else's mistake) was not my intention.

Anyway, now it is clear, thank you very much HartleySan and Larry!

I knew you weren't trying to point out someone's mistakes, but if you go back and read your original post, I think you might see that your tone was a bit confusing and somewhat implied that.

Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal. I just personally think that "cookie value" can mean several things, and the context always clears things up.

• Upvote 1