Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Stripe Webhooks With Csrf

Jonathon

Jonathon i am sorry to interupt but i want to ask a few questions..

Did you enable Csrf on all your forms by adding 'enableCsrfValidation'=>true?

If you submit a form through a controller function with 'ajaxOnly + new', can somebody still do a blind attack on one of those?

If you used Csrf when would you use it and why?

I am sorry i don't have much experience with Csrf and if i enable the feature in Yii most of my site won't work.

I enabled it in the config yes. I don't think they can no. But you have to pass the csrf token as data into the controller also.

That's kind of what i thought, it means if i enable it i will have to update many ajax functions, its a shame you can't just make it independent per form but yii only seems to offer it via that main.php like switch. I think to tighten up security i am going to enable it.

Once again sorry to interupt i hope Larry can answer your question very soon when he gets time. Thanks for your help Jonathon. The least i can do is UP your post. Thanks

Well I keep getting 400 errors in my Stripe response back and in the application log: 

[error] [exception.CHttpException.400] exception 'CHttpException' with message 'The CSRF token could not be verified.

I feel like i'd sorted this the other day and it was because I was only accessing my site from my own  IP address. I will get back to you if it doesn't resolve itself.

Thanks

Jonathon

Ah...I see: Stripe is making a POST request of the page and because there's no CSRF token, Yii is rejecting it. You can disable CSRF validation on specific routes using the noCsrfValidationRoutes configuration. I don't know the exact code off the top of my head, but if you search on that you should find it. If not, let me know!

• Upvote 1

Ah...I see: Stripe is making a POST request of the page and because there's no CSRF token, Yii is rejecting it. You can disable CSRF validation on specific routes using the noCsrfValidationRoutes configuration. I don't know the exact code off the top of my head, but if you search on that you should find it. If not, let me know!

Cool so there is a way to turn it off in certain places. Larry should we use CSRF for only ajax requests or just for standard POST requests? What i mean is can somebody blind attack and only ajax function with 'ajaxOnly + new' set in the controller.

You can't use CSRF for Ajax requests, really. Just use it for standard POST requests. And, really, just for ones of a sensitive nature. Yii's ability to use CSRF for all forms is a nice security feature, but it's a blunt tool. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Larry,

When you say you can't use it, really. What do you mean? I know that when I turned it on a lot of my ajax request fails, this lead me to using things like:

var token = '<?php echo Yii::app()->request->csrfToken; ?>';

and sending it along with the CHtml::ajax data parameter.

• Upvote 1

That noCsrfValidationRoutes configuration that Larry mentioned allows you to switch of some of the routes so then the ajax requests won't need them. Now you will know how i feel Jonathon when i was told its better to use Cents and not floats for monetary values, ive got that issue as well as CSRF to deal with.

@Larry Thanks for that i thought it may be wasn't necessary for the ajax requests, okay ill do as you say. Actually now i know of the cents method i have decided to go back and recode some of the main web pages of my site. Most of last year i was learning stuff and coding at the same time but now i am writing better code with better understanding. I probably don't need to rabble on like this but i thought i would keep you up to date as your like man that wrote the "Holy Bible of Coding" for me.

Actually this CSRF routing issue is a custom job extending the CHttpRequest class, there are some details of it in this thread, im going to get that done tomorrow. This is the link i found info for noCsrfValidationRoutes configuration

http://www.yiiframework.com/forum/index.php/topic/14173-disable-csrf-token-validation-for-certain-paths/

Surprised Yii didn't bother to include that themselves it seems to be something that should be implemented.

What I meant by can't do CSRF in Ajax is more theoretical. The point of CSRF is to confirm that a user is actively submitting a form on your site. An Ajax request is a separate process that should have its own verification measures. I think of Ajax resources as being more like an API used within a site. 

• Upvote 1