Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I'm having trouble understanding/linking the code example to the diagram and definition for the Factory Pattern.

21bsq35.png

abstract class Shape { ... }
class Rectangle extends Shape { ... }
class Triangle extends Shape { ... }

abstract class ShapeFactory {

static function Create($type, array $sizes) {

switch ($type) {
            case 'rectangle':
                return new Rectangle($sizes[0], $sizes[1]);
                break;
            case 'triangle':
                return new Triangle($sizes[0], $sizes[1], $sizes[2]);
                break;
        }
    }
}

$obj = ShapeFactory::Create($_GET['shape'], $_GET['dimensions']);

Must be having an off day because I'm not seeing how the abstract factory class is being extended in the code example.

I was unable to find any information in the book explaining the solid arrows or the term concrete, can anyone point me to the right pages, I must be going blind :/

Any help greatly appreciated.

edit: ok I think I understand why there was confusion. The UML diagram used in the book is representative of the second reason/example given for using the factory pattern (where a base factory class is extended) but the code example references the first reason given for using a factory class and there is no UML diagram for this. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Larry,

I have a problem as well regarding the factory pattern.  $obj = ShapeFactory::Create($_GET['shape'], $_GET['dimensions']); i got confused how the $obj was able to call the methods of the other class.. $obj->getArea(). Thanks Larry.

The ShapeFactory::Create() method creates one of two object types--a Rectangle or a Triangle. This returned value is assigned to $obj. So $obj will either be a Rectangle or a Triangle as if you had created them using the new operator. That's why you can then call the methods. 

Let me know if it's still unclear.

• 2 years later...

I'm having trouble understanding/linking the code example to the diagram and definition for the Factory Pattern.

21bsq35.png

abstract class Shape { ... }
class Rectangle extends Shape { ... }
class Triangle extends Shape { ... }

abstract class ShapeFactory {

static function Create($type, array $sizes) {

switch ($type) {
            case 'rectangle':
                return new Rectangle($sizes[0], $sizes[1]);
                break;
            case 'triangle':
                return new Triangle($sizes[0], $sizes[1], $sizes[2]);
                break;
        }
    }
}

$obj = ShapeFactory::Create($_GET['shape'], $_GET['dimensions']);

Must be having an off day because I'm not seeing how the abstract factory class is being extended in the code example.

I was unable to find any information in the book explaining the solid arrows or the term concrete, can anyone point me to the right pages, I must be going blind :/

Any help greatly appreciated.

edit: ok I think I understand why there was confusion. The UML diagram used in the book is representative of the second reason/example given for using the factory pattern (where a base factory class is extended) but the code example references the first reason given for using a factory class and there is no UML diagram for this. 

I think the problem, at least for me, is that on page 200 where the Rectangle class is shown, there is no "extends". It just says "class Rectangle {".  The Triangle class says "class Triangle extends Shape {".  So I couldn't see how Rectangle was accessing getArea() until I looked at Triangle and realized it was a book mistake. It's also a mistake in the code example for Rectangle.

• 4 weeks later...