Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi Larry:

I read the book twice and type all the code into my Netbeans IDE. The book works great for me, the instruciton of each script is simple and clear to understand.

I did find a typo on page 621, line 138. the $_post['existing] should be replaced with $_post['artist'].

I work through all the book details, actually I read each of you word in the book:). After test all the codes.

I have 2 questions need to be clear:

1) I use login practice which is on page 589, line 29. when I use pass=SHA1('$p') compare with encypt password stored in database. I always get failed results. I use hard code like pass='123', it works. It seems password through SHA1() function cannot be equals to the encypt password stores in user table when the user first registered. I double check the password length stores in db is >40. Why I always get failed results when using SHA1() function?

2) The second question is on page 656 line 34. when you using mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt,'iiid',$oid,$pid,$qty,$price), the $oid you defined in checkout.php. But $pid,$qty,$price have not been retrieved from database or initialized. How do you write uninitilized varables into database? And it does work. I am confused about it.

I'll look into that typo. Thanks for letting me know about it. As for your questions...

1) I'm not sure. If a hardcoded pass does work, that would suggest you're not storing a hashed version. 

2) So the way bound parameters work, is that the variables you bind only have to have a value when the statement is executed.