Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chap 17 - Message Board - Time Zones Update

Hello everyone,

I am have a problem that I am not able to fix. As explained in the book I don't see any values for my dates and times for the message board. I have downloaded the file (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/timezones.html) to update my mysql installation but with no success. My question is how can I update my mysql installation on a wamp environment?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gralf

I have downloaded the zipped file, unzipped it, copy its content and paste it in wamp/bin/mysql/mysqlxxxx folder.

I did not get any error message and the time/date values were not displayed.

Regards,

Gralf

Hi Larry. The link you a gave me didn't give me enough explanation, unless I didn't understand the explanation. Isn't there any other option to load the data into mysql (using wamp environment)? Because I have seen some resources that explain how to load data into mysql server not in wamp/mysql.

I am done with the forum system but I'm still having trouble with the dates/times.

Regards,

Gralf.

The file you downloaded is a collection of timezone information. This needs to be imported into MySQL, which is done using the mysql_tzinfo_to_sql script, as explained on that page. You may want to also consider searching Google for installing time zones in MySQL on Windows.

Hi Larry,

I have finally imported the timezone information. I was almost there but I was putting the files in the wrong folder.

In case someone has a similar problem, this is how I did it:

1. Download the files here http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/timezones.html

2. Unzip the folder and Copy its content

3. Stop MySql service (mysql needs to be stopped before importing the timezone info)

4. Go to Local Disk (depending on the installation) -> Wamp folder -> bin -> mysql -> mysqlx.x.x -> data -> mysql and paste/replace the timezone information from the downloaded folder.

5. Restart/Resume MySql service and here we go with the timezone info imported.

Regards,

Gralf