Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Greetings,

I'm a beginner. I have some difficulties with FTP configuration.
I already download and started xampp, I download and started filezilla but I don't have any domain like www.larryullman.com. I use notepad++ as editor. I can't get anything from the browser (mozilla). I saved my file under C:\xampp\htdocs\phpmysql
everything I get is the PHP or phpinfo() picture on page13.

how should I configurate filezilla, xampp and test my script?

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

If you're using XAMPP, then you don't need FIlezilla because everything will run off of your local machine and the virtual server environment created by XAMPP.

Put a file called test.php in the htdocs folder, put some PHP code within that file, start up Apache from the XAMPP Control Panel, and then go to the following URL in your browser:

http://localhost/test.php

You should then see the results of the test.php displayed in your browser.

Please let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

It's a little bit tricky if you're still new to all of this, but basically, do the following:

1) Start FileZilla from the XAMPP Control Panel.

2) Click Admin next to Start, and connect to the default server (127.0.0.1; this is equivalent to localhost).

3) Click Edit > Users.

4) Add a new user and make a password.

5) Click on Shared folders on the left and then add a shared folder. I would add the xampp folder as your home directory.

6) Add any permissions you want (e.g., write).

7) Click OK to confirm everything.

8) Next, start up your FileZilla client (a separate program), type localhost for Host, and then the user name and password you created.

9) Hit connect, and you should be placed in your xampp folder.

From here, you can add and remove files just like you'd normally be able to if you were actually connected to a remote web server.

While doing things through FileZilla is good practice, ultimately, just copying and pasting, etc. directly into your folders will greatly speed up development, so I wouldn't use FileZilla in most cases.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

New member.   It has been a while since I used XAMMP and php.  I was able to get my control panel going after switching some bindings around.  But I had forgotton the heirarchy and folder structures and....how to start XAMMP in the browser.  I joined this forum to say thank you for this quick thread.  I will likely post here with questions and appreciate any and all replies.

Regards,

Troy

Hello and welcome to the forums.

In the xampp folder, there should be a folder called htdocs.

That is your web root, which maps to localhost in the browser.

For example, if you have a script called test.php in the htdocs folder, then with Apache started from the XAMPP Control Panel, you'd access the file as follows:

http;//localhost/test.php

That help?

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Also a very raw newbie in PHP world.

I have a question abuot saving my PHP scripts in Chapter 1. Does it matter what type of file you save them as?

I was successful with Script 1.2 in terms of getting it to work on the local host. However, when I came to Script 1.3 (hello.php) I kept getting the following error message:

Object Not Found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

localhost

Apache/2.4.10(Win32) OpenSSL/1.0liPHP/5.5.15.

I followed the same approach in saving the hello script as I did the phpinfo script (which worked beautifully)

Any help gratefully received.