Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Ch. 19 - Getting Error(S) In Script 19.1

Hi all,

Getting errors which I think are related to the connection to the DB, but not sure.  I double checked all the code again just now and it should be perfect.  I went through the entire chapter's scripts, now going back through making corrections - I have 19.2 correct but I can't proceed because 19.1 is required since you have to upload artist name in order to populate the dropdown in 19.2.  I did some searching online for these errors and most were related to normal parenthesis / quotes etc which, again, I believe the code to be 100% correct.  Any help here is certainly appreciated - hoping to wrap up this chapter this week, then re-review the entire book, and then move on to the recently purchased effortless ecommerce v2!

Warning: mysqli_stmt_bind_param() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_stmt, boolean given in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/PHP_MYSQL/add_artist(19.1).php on line 25

Warning: mysqli_stmt_execute() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_stmt, boolean given in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/PHP_MYSQL/add_artist(19.1).php on line 26

Warning: mysqli_stmt_affected_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_stmt, boolean given in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/PHP_MYSQL/add_artist(19.1).php on line 29

Warning: mysqli_stmt_close() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_stmt, boolean given in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/PHP_MYSQL/add_artist(19.1).php on line 37

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
	<meta http-equiv="content-type"content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
	<title>Add an Artist</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php # Script 19.1 - add_artist(19.1).php   ************THIS ENTIRE PAGE IS CORRECT - CHECKED ON 3-30-14****************
// This page allows the admin to add a new artist name to the database

if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST') { // Handle the form

// Validate the first and middle names (neither required):
	$fn = (!empty($_POST['first_name'])) ? trim($_POST['first_name']) : NULL;
	$mn = (!empty($_POST['middle_name'])) ? trim($_POST['middle_name']) : NULL;

// Check for a last_name...
	if (!empty($_POST['last_name'])) {

$ln = trim($_POST['last_name']);

// Add the artist to the database:
		require ('../mysqli_connect(ch19).php');   ////////////////////////////////////////////
		$q = 'INSERT INTO artists (first_name, middle_name, last_name) VALUES (?,?,?)';
		$stmt = mysqli_prepare($dbc, $q);
		mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, 'sss', $fn, $mn, $ln);
        mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);

// Check the results...
		if (mysqli_stmt_affected_rows($stmt) == 1) {
			echo '<p>The artist has been added.</p>';
			$_POST = array();
		} else {  // Error!    
			$error = 'The new artist could not be added to the database!';
		}

// Close this prepared statement:
		mysqli_stmt_close($stmt);
		mysqli_close($dbc); // Close the database connection

} else { // No last name value.
		$error = 'Please enter the artist\'s name!';
	}

}  // End of the submission IF.

// Check for an error and print it:
if (isset($error)) {
	echo '<h1>Error</h1>
	<p style="font-weight: bold; color: #C00">' . $error . ' Please try again.</p>';
}

// Display the form...
?>
<h1>Add a Print</h1>
<form action="add_artist(19.1).php" method="post">

<fieldset><legend>Fill out the form to add an artist:</legend>

<p><b>First Name:</b> <input type="text" name="first_name" size="10" maxlength="20" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['first_name'])) echo $_POST['first_name']; ?>" /></p>
		<p><b>Middle Name:</b> <input type="text" name="middle_name" size="10" maxlength="20" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['middle_name'])) echo $_POST['middle_name']; ?>" /></p>
		<p><b>Last Name:</b> <input type="text" name="last_name" size="10" maxlength="40" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['last_name'])) echo $_POST['last_name']; ?>" /></p>

</fieldset>

<div align="center"><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" /></div>

</form>

</body>
</html>

Well if you check php.net http://php.net/manual/en/mysqli.prepare.php

mysqli_prepare() returns a statement object or FALSE if an error occurred.

So mysqli_prepare that you have is returning FALSE which is boolean to $stmt which will cause all the functions/methods using it to fail. So its a problem with your database connection, you simply need to check the required file is being received.

require ('../mysqli_connect(ch19).php');

• Upvote 2

How would I check that the required file is being received?

Is the below correct?

I basically copy/pasted from the link you provided from php.net above.

I ran this in my browser and just got a white screen - does that mean I don't have an error since it didn't print an error message?

<?php # test_database_connection(ch19).php 
// This page tests for a connection to the database

require ('../mysqli_connect(ch19).php'); 

// check connection -  **TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE PHP.net SITE
if (mysqli_connect_errno()) {
    printf("Connect failed: %s\n", mysqli_connect_error());
    exit();
}

?>

Yes, mysqli_connect_errno returns 0 on a successful connection, meaning that a blank screen means your connection is okay.

With that said, Edward is right that the mysqli_prepare function is returning false and storing that in $stmt, which is your problem.

This happens whenever your query is invalid. Try running the query directly on the DB with static values to better debug the issue.