Larry Ullman's Book Forums

HI,

Hope someone can clarify for me.  I'm refering to the examples used in Chapeter 6 regarding the movie database.  I have to build a database very similar.  Currently all the data is stored in an excel spreadsheet.  I have one column for actors (multiple values each cell) which contains all the actors names (groan not separated by last and first names), and the names are sperated by pipes.  I also have a director column (1 value each cell), studio column (1 value each cell) and genre (multiple values each cell) column which also uses pipes as a separator.

I realize that I have to create separate tables.  In the example given the movie-actors table has two fields, movie_id and actor_id. Wouldn't that end up violating the 2NF compliancy rule since the movie_id would have to be in multiple records with each actor?

In other words movie_id 1001 has 4 actors.  Wouldn't that require 4 rows defining each actor? 

Help :)

Steve

You would have a table for movies, another table for actors, and then a third table that joins the two.

If, for example, the movie in question has the ID 1, and the actors in that movie have IDs 1, 2, 3 and 4, then the intermediary table would probably have the following entries:

movie_id   actor_id
1          1
1          2
1          3
1          4
  • Upvote 1