Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Sense Extension

Jonathon

Hi Larry,

I've just been using Marvel, it was painless to be honest, took 2 minutes to get sorted. But at least this thread might save you some questions from the chapter. So far yes it's been very helpful, I've just got into the performing search with part.

One thing I wanted to clarify is when you go live with this, do you need additional Java things to get it to work? I know nothing really about Java in terms of application work. I'm just wondering if my hosting will support whatever (if anything) is needed to run elasticsearch.

Thanks for sharing that input, Jonathon. You should need the Java Development Kit, which might be on the server. I'd ask them now if they support it, or Elasticsearch particularly. It doesn't seem unreasonable to be able to use. 

I've been researching a lot of hosting options myself. A VPS would allow you to install whatever you want, but you'd need to have some *nix skills. I've heard very good things about Linode and Digital Ocean. Linode is a very manual system, though. But Digital Ocean looks quite promising.

Yeah, I'm still feeling irked about ServInt and questioning whether I'm getting the best value for my money. I always felt like I was spending a bit more, but getting better technical support. Since I'm not getting great technical support... Also, while they did apologize, that's all they did for the big headache they gave me.

I'm also looking at something faster and more dynamic that can expand to meet demand. But I'm probably not going to do anything in the near future. 

Companies keep using different terms, but I gather Digital Ocean is just a flexible VPS. 

Yeah I have done some reading since and asked some questions. I don't really want to pay nearly 10x what I pay for shared hosting so I can use ElasticSearch. But the fact it is all down to me, is a little concern. My hosting is nearly up anyway, so maybe I'll spend the $5/$10 with an old domain and see how I get on.

Addionally regarding DigitalOcean, I came across serverpilot.io. They are a CPanel for DigitalOcean in sorts, I might look to use them as well, as it appears to be a way to at least make sure my server is secure and up to date. The last major step I think I need after setting up the stacks that they do, and the securing that they do, is working out a mail client. I emailed them and they said rackspace email is what they recommend. It seems to be only $2 a month for a simple plan. I don't really know much else about servers and mail configs, not sure whether mailgun or mailchimp would be better or any use.

Yeah...email. That's a sticking point in moving off the VPS. I've been using Mailgun for "The Yii Book" related emails. If I went the cloud route and had to manage my own mail server, I'd probably just start paying the $5/month to use Gmail (you can use your own domains through Gmail). Tricky stuff...

That's just adding the MX records isn't and that's it? I can send and receive emails no problem. There's nothing else to it.

My only concern is the limits Google apply to your account. I think it's 99 per day. Would MailGun be a useful tool if you needed to send automated emails from Crons that may span more than 99 emails?

Yeah, that's my understanding: just add the MX records. I don't know anything about limits Google applies. I would imagine they don't let you send out large batches of emails, but I think that's standard to most systems that aren't dedicated to that purpose (e.g., newsletter subscriptions).

I use Mailgun for the Yii site to reliably send out emails. There were a few people not getting them when sent from my site using mail(). Mailgun also lets me send out mass emails, which is unusual for that kind of service.

I use Campaign Monitor for my newsletter, which is emails in batches of 2500+ at a time. 

I feel like it would bea decent option if it isn't too hard to configure. I'm thinking mainly of cron jobs you may for people who have signed up for the newsletter I have for instance. I could still use Google Apps email for general email enquiries and be inside their limits. I'm trying to get an idea of exactly what I'll need to do with regards to using a cloud VPS. Mailgun have a high volume 10,000 emails per month for free too which is nice.