Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Password Changes

Jonathon

I saw your tweet about changing passwords. I just a couple of hours ago started using password box for my more important passwords, things like Stripe etc and got it to generate strong passwords. It seems a once strong password a few years ago just doesn't cut it.

You get 25 free passwords with passwordBox too.

Regarding this whole thing... I think this issue is seriously overblown in the media. What matters is what consequence any login details someone picked up would have for you. If someone found my Gmail credentials, I would be in serious trouble. Loosing access to something like my IKEA wishlist would however not affect me in the slightest. Two-factor auth is something anything with critical information should have. 

Definitely agree about 2FA for anything critical. In terms of the Ikeas and other sites, I think the problem is that so many people end up reusing the same password over and over again. So if they find out you use this email address/password at Ikea, they may be able to log into your Facebook account or...

Using unique passwords at each site is one of the best policies you can have, which is where a password storage application really shines. 

Yes, I agree that it's overblown, but I think the main reason it's a concern is because most people are not smart enough to create secure passwords.

And more than that, the biggest problem is that people use the same or very similar passwords across all sites, meaning that if Bob's Online Comic Shop gets hacked and you have an account with them, then your Gmail, LinkedIn, etc. accounts are now also compromised.

I personally have a pitiful password that I use for all accounts I don't care about, and then separate and unique passwords for accounts I do care about (e.g., Gmail).

It's annoying, but that seems to be the world we live in.

Edit: Larry, you and I posted at the same time I think, which is why I pretty much just repeated what you said.

It's absolutely a good idea, though. I use the same, pretty strong, password on every site I don't care about, but a password handler would be beneficial. I think I might just download passwordBox to check it out. I just hate the thought of having to do the extra work of using something like this. :P

I started using 1Password some years ago and now I don't know any of my passwords. They're all like vhs*AwPgQ8idwcmaWE+4 Also syncs across multiple devices, which is good, and works in all browsers. So I don't have my browsers remember passwords anymore. 

And for situations like this, I can have 1Password automatically find any duplicate passwords, any "weak" ones, and any passwords over a certain age. It's pretty useful!