Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what the best way is to remove a key-value pair from a single-dimension array where you know the value but not the key. (In PHP).

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks, Necuima.

Honestly, I think that a quick Google search would get you there, but array_search will return the key that corresponds to the first instance of a value in an array, and array_splice allows you to remove one or more elements from an array.

For example:

$arr = array('red', 'green', 'blue', 'yellow');
$key = array_search('blue', $arr); // Returns 2.
array_splice($arr, $key, 1); // $arr is now array('red', 'green', 'yellow').

You could easily combine these two steps into an easy-to-use function as well:

function remove_val_from_arr($val, &$arr) {
  array_splice($arr, array_search($val, $arr), 1);
}

$arr = array('red', 'green', 'blue', 'yellow');
remove_val_from_arr('red', $arr); // $arr is now array('green', 'blue', 'yellow').

That all make sense?

Hi HartleySan,

I also found this approach in Stack Overflow courtesy "Bojangles":

if(($key = array_search($value, $arr)) !== false)
         {
             unset($arr[$key]);
         }

There was also a comment that the array_splice approach may not work in every circumstance.

In your experience, is there any appreciable difference in the approaches?

Re earlier, I just had not come across the array_search PHP function before and an earlier Google search did not reveal it.

Cheers from Oz.

Hi HartleySan,

From: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7225070/php-array-delete-by-value-not-key :

This (array_diff) only works for objects that can be converted to a string - @nischayn22

It's worth noting that for some reason array_diff uses (string) $elem1 === (string) $elem2 as its equality condition, not $elem1 === $elem2 as you might expect. The issue pointed out by @nischayn22 is a consequence of this. If you want something to use as a utility function that will work for arrays of arbitrary elements (which might be objects), Bojangle's answer might be better for this reason - Mark Avery.

Cheers from Oz.

There's nothing in Bojangles's answer about why unset is better than array_splice. In fact, there's only one mention of array_splice on the entire page, and that guy links to a detailed explanation of why array_splice is better than unset.

Thoughts?

Hi HartleySan,

As I said right at the very beginning, I was seeking advice on the best way to delete a key-value pair when you only know the value.  Your advice and Google have helped me achieve my goal. 

I don't have enough detailed knowledge to make an informed judgement as to which way is best.

I followed the lead http://www.programmerinterview.com/index.php/php-questions/how-to-delete-an-element-from-an-array-in-php/ which is the lead that I think you are referring to and right at the bottom is Bojangles approach.

But as always I do appreciate your advice and insights.

Cheers from my ageing grey cells here in Oz :-)