user_id INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
category_id INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
price INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
date_created TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
date_updated DATETIME DEFAULT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (id),
INDEX fk_item_user_idx (user_id ASC)
)ENGINE=InnoDB;

but what i don't find clear is should i make a separate table for the category_id which links to a table with all the catogories like:

CREATE TABLE item_category (
item_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
category_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (item_id, category_id),
INDEX fk_item_category_item_idx (item_id ASC),
INDEX fk_item_category_category_idx (category_id ASC)
)ENGINE=InnoDB;

or should i include the category_id inside the item table. This is really not clear to me as i can find examples everywhere online of with both senerios. What is the correct thing to do have more tables or put everything in one. Because even if we have a middle table to glue the item and category table, the item_category table will still have repeated category values as would of had the item table??? I have some other tables that i need associating with the item so now, I am confused!

If one category can have multiple items, and an item will never be in more than one category, then I would have a table to describe all the categories, and then in a separate table that contains all the items, I would have a column for the category ID to act as a foreign key to link the two tables.

That make sense?

• Upvote 1

Yes that makes sense, so only if an item has more than one category we need the intermediary table.

Thanks this point is clear and i can base all my other tables from this, i think i can see now why i was confused. Those examples online must of been for the other example. Thanks Hartley San.

No problem.

While there are exceptions to every rule, in general, one-to-one relations can go in the same table, one-to-many relations can go in two tables, and many-to-many relations should be spread across three tables, with the intermediary one between the other two.

• Upvote 2