Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hello

First of all, thanks for the great book!

I'm trying to apply utf8 in my database following the example on page 431-433. Mainly I'll use german characters as ä,ö,ü,ß,€ to insert and select into/from the databse.

What I did so far:

- I connect and then do "CHARSET utf8".

- I created a DB with a collation of latin1_german1_ci.

- I then created a table with a column encoded (CHARSET) to utf8.

When I query that table via php in a browser I need to do a

mysqli_query($dbc, "SET NAMES 'utf8'");

before the actual query otherwise the special characters are not printed correctly.

So my question simply is, whether that is a correct way to do it?

// Database access information as constants:

if (!defined ('DB_USER')) DEFINE ('DB_USER', 'XXX');
if (!defined ('DB_PASSWORD')) DEFINE ('DB_PASSWORD', 'XXX');
if (!defined ('DB_HOST')) DEFINE ('DB_HOST', 'XXX');
if (!defined ('DB_NAME')) DEFINE ('DB_NAME', 'XXX');

// Make the connection:

$dbc = @mysqli_connect (DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD, DB_NAME) OR die ('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysqli_connect_error() );

// Make utf8 related stuff:

mysqli_query($dbc, "CHARSET utf8");

// Make the query:

$q = "SELECT * FROM test_utf8 ORDER BY word";
$r = mysqli_query($dbc, $q);
while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($r)) {
echo $row['word'] . "<br />";
}

It appears to me that I actually need the query "CHARSET utf8" in order to INSERT data,

and the "SET NAMES 'utf8'" in order to SELECT data.

---------------------------------------------

Second and more general question to this topic:

Do you consider it a better way to switch a DB entirely to utf8 (if I need/want it in some columns), or to chose a collation like latin1_german1_ci in general and utf8 on specific columns?

I myself would say: use utf8 wherever possible because it is the future, isn't it??

--------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Simply writing this post helped me understand better ... (as so very often) So I'm giving some answers by myself:

CHARSET vs. SET NAMES:

It's actually said by Larry on that same page 431: CHARSET sets the encoding for the communication within the client and SET NAME between mysql & php.

So I'll need the following line of code directly after connecting to the db:

OR
mysqli_set_charset($dbc, 'utf8');

remains my second more general question ...

and PS: Why do you (Larry) use a column "pass CHAR(40) NOT NULL" in the users table which is utf8 encoded (page 446 in chapter 15: Message Board)? Didn't you mention that using CHAR() wasn't a good idea in utf8 encoded columns?

First of all, thanks for the great book!

Thanks!

Second and more general question to this topic:

Do you consider it a better way to switch a DB entirely to utf8 (if I need/want it in some columns), or to chose a collation like latin1_german1_ci in general and utf8 on specific columns?

I myself would say: use utf8 wherever possible because it is the future, isn't it??

It sounds like you're confusing the topics of character sets and collations. I would generally use UTF8 as my character set for all tables and columns. I would also set the proper collation for all tables and columns. You can then adjust the collation (but less likely the character) set on a column by column basis.

Simply writing this post helped me understand better ... (as so very often) So I'm giving some answers by myself:

Kudos and thanks for adding your own solution.

Why do you (Larry) use a column "pass CHAR(40) NOT NULL" in the users table which is utf8 encoded (page 446 in chapter 15: Message Board)? Didn't you mention that using CHAR() wasn't a good idea in utf8 encoded columns?

Yeah, that's a minor point. For performance reasons, the recommendation is not to use fixed text columns with UTF8. But for performance reasons, something like an encrypted password, that will always be a set length, should be a CHAR. And, of course, MySQL will change the column's definition to what it thinks it should be. So the answer is...maybe, maybe not!