Larry Ullman's Book Forums

What Are You Thinking? => The Javascript Book

With regard to your Newsletter that stated

I've already started writing the book and done some research with respect to self-publishing, all with the hope of releasing the book some time this summer. In a surprising turn of events, a publisher has come to me wanting to put out the book. The publisher is very much willing to work with me on the concerns I have about control and the quality of electronic formats. And the publisher is better equipped to get the book into more places, including various electronic and online resources, international destinations, and translations. I'm clearly being coy about some of the details, but my question to those of you that might be interested in a JavaScript book written by me is whether you have a strong preference between a self-published book and one that's traditionally published. Does it make a difference to you? Once you set aside the issues of subject and writer (which would be the same in both cases here), what criteria do you have for whether you buy a book and for how much you like a book?

As a writer, I have an entirely different sense of these things, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have on this particular issue. I know which way I'm leaning here, but want to make sure I'm not overlooking something important. Thanks!

I thought I'd offer my thoughts. Basically I have no preference as to whether a book is self published or traditionally published. For me what included far outweighs how it`s presented. However I personally am a stickler for books. I just enjoy looking at pages and scribbling notes rather than clicking mouses or sliding your finger across a screen. But this doesn't mean I wouldn't buy your book if it was solely available in an electronic format. I know that other people prefer electronic formats I think it was Paul Swanson who said he`d preferred them electronically.

Finally, In terms of what criteria I use to buy a book I use Amazon reviews. I tried to read all the reviews, even the negative ones to see what negative aspects there are as a lot of them don't actually relate to the material (Things like, it took too long to get here - 3 stars). I also read the contents lists, look at the description from the author and the number of pages. I think i'm quite in depth because I want to get the choice right. I would imagine, that a lot of people are similarly as thorough though.

Obviously with this JavaScript book, I would buy it off the back of my knowledge of your other books. In that I know it will be well written, easy to grasp and useful. I think many others here would follow a similar line of thought.....but, in terms of attracting a newer reader and more sales outside of repeat business I think self publishing could be difficult to generate the sales?

Maybe you could sell it through your site for 6-8 weeks at $x because there is a lot of interest and then have a publisher try to push it around the net and Amazon in particular. I don't know if this is even possible or worthwhile. I say this because I would guess that you would make more money if you sold it directly to us (the people using your site and know about the book) and then stop selling it on your site and have it sold through Amazon or wherever and take a hit in terms of actual income (As i imagine publishers/distributors take a hefty chunk) but offset that against the larger exposure that Amazon gains and the potential for follow-on sales of other titles you've written.

Jonathon :-)

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Jonathon, for your input. Very much appreciated! And thanks for the nice words.

The consensus from people seems to be that most readers don't really care who the actual publisher is. Which is not surprising, I guess. I agree with your assessment that I could sell some books to people I'm already in contact with but, in the end, sell more using a publisher. But I don't think it's an option to sell it myself and then go to a publisher. I can use Amazon without a publisher, however.

Thanks again!

I see, well I would guess that that's good for terms of longevity and numbers of sales. Of course I imagine the profits for you personally are some what reduced when you go through Amazon, but as i mentioned earlier the chances of additional sales of the back of the JS book would be significantly increase (I would imagine).

Good luck B)