Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Creating A Hash

I have a database(Using Filemaker) of contact info .ie name, email address ect...I want to import the data into a mysql table...my question... can mysl create a hash(and insert it into a column say called hash) to be associated with each contact?

You can kind of do this, but the data won't be very useful in MySQL if stored that way. I would either export it from Filemaker as a CSV and then import it into MySQL as discrete fields, or go to MongoDB with the data stored as documents.

Hey Thanks Larry for the tips.... After sleeping on this  I thought about first creating a hash field in FM and then exporting to MySQL..I believe a hash  can be created with some FM scripting...Thanks for you idea on exporting as CSV...

Regards

David

I think I was asking question wrong..I want to create a unique id  ie. $active =md5(uniqid(rand(), true)); as used to activate a user...I want each contact to have its own random id say anywhere from 10 plus  characters long.  Sorry for the confusion...I think my best bet is to create this in FM. I just was not sure if MySQLI had a way of creating it as opposed to creating with it with PHP and then inserting into MySQL....I am just not very familiar yet with MySQL. Thank you David