Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hiding Parameters Passed In Url Route

CodyMTX

I had one quick question.  Do you think it is a secure approach to expose the primary key in the URL? 

I think it presents to much information to someone interested in data-mining your site.  They could easily tell how many objects you have or how many users you have, etc.

Is there a way to use a GUID or something that would hide it, or is it worth going down that route?​

If there is, it may make for a good short entry in the Yii Book.  I read the book twice and don't recall seeing any information about that.  Thanks!!! :D

Good question! My basic rule is determined by what kind of damaged can be caused by having a publicly-known (and editable) primary key. So pages on a blog can show the PK, as can links in an e-commerce site. A user ID is a debatable situation, depending upon what showing /user/ID does. 

Use the username string value instead of their id, which is of course shady. If you do that though you will have to edit your routes in your main/config.php, it can also be a pain as all your other user methods have to be listed there. So if someone has a user name the same as one of your controller method this function wouldn't run. But i guess you could just restrict those particular usernames on the user creation page.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Larry and Edward!  I appreciate the responses!  I suppose there is no immediate damage done for them knowing the primary keys.  I just didn't want to have someone use a program to systematically attack the site by scrolling through numbers associated with users, posts, etc.  I hope that makes sense.  I was looking at using a GUID, but it may possibly have performance issues as well as making it a pain to code with.  Thanks again!