Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Power Point At My Website--How To Start Automatically

I put a Power Point link on my website (actually a friend's site I am doing), and when user clicks the link, the browser menu comes up to pick Open or Save.

Is there some way I can have that Power Point start automatically when the user clicks?

And is this a file I should put in directory outside my web files?

As far as I know, browsers cannot play PowerPoint presentations, although there may be a plugin that supports that ability. It's certainly not native, and definitely not on Macs. 

You'd want to put the file outside of your web directory only if you needed to prevent direct access to it.

FireFox did bring up the PowePoint. Like any file that I would download, it gives me an  option to Open or Save.

But I don't want that menu to come up, just the PowerPoint.

You can check it out for yourself if you want but this site is brand new so really just a skeleton yet.

InsideTheNumbersInc.com

Right. That's what I'm saying: browsers cannot natively play PowerPoint files, not like they can show images or play certain types of videos (and remember that even videos require plugins to be played). PowerPoint is not an understandable format for browsers, not without a plugin, at least, so the browser will prompt you to open or save it. 

That depends upon what you mean by "on". One option would be to make it available for saving/downloading, as you've done. Alternatively, if you want it viewable within the browser, you'll most likely need to convert it to another format that can be embedded and displayed within a browser. PDF maybe? I don't really know. 

What I really want is that they can watch the PowerPoint online when they click on it.

I did search on line and you are right I have to convert it.

Open Office exports it to HTML format but now it doesn't start the PowerPoint correctly, it only shows a introductory page.

Don't spend your time on this, I thought there might be a different way to make the link start the PowerPoint, but evidently there is not.

I'm sure I will figure it out and then I can post back so others might learn.