Larry Ullman's Book Forums

4Th Edition Of This Book Is From 2011/12 - Are There Any Big Changes In Php Since Then?

Hi,

I plan to start learning PHP in the next two months (right now I'm learning some other things, and when I finish with them I'll start with PHP).

I'm interested in this book, but I have one question - since the book is from 2011/2012, were there any major changes in the meantime? I mean, now we have newer version of PHP, so will I miss something "big" if I read book that is from 2011/12?

If so, can we expect a new edition of this book in the near future?

I apologize, my English isn't good.

Thanks for the interest in the book! I appreciate it. I would not say that there have been any major changes in PHP since this edition was written. Certainly nothing big. I can recommend it in good conscious.

No new edition planned yet, which means it wouldn't be in the next year. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Hey! Thanks for the interest. I haven't started writing it yet and I don't think I plan on completing it until the fall, making it available by the end of the year. Let me know if there's something particular you'd like to see me do in this edition!

• 5 months later...

Hi Larry, first off, I'd like to say thank you for your time and effort spent in writing these books.

I'm almost done with PHP For the Web(5th edition) and have been very much enjoying it. I attempted to learn PHP a couple years ago and got very frustrated with it. Your book has made it much easier to follow and understand.

My question is, since I'm almost done with this one, I'd like to start on your PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites next. I have a copy of the fourth edition sitting on my desk, and I doubt I'm going to be able to wait until the next edition comes out. Are there any outdated bad habits, as far as security measures go, that I may have to worry about picking up in the fourth edition? I'm planning on starting work on a social web app soon and don't want to have to go back and change a ton of code because of obsolete security practices. 

Once again, thank you so much for your time spent on these books! 

Hello! Thank _you_ for the very nice words and for the continued interest in my books. I really appreciate it! 

As for your question, I haven't started the 5th edition yet so it'll be at least 6 months before it's done and so, yes, you probably don't want to wait. Off the top of my head I can't think of any bad habits/major approaches that I'd change come the 5th edition, but I can post any significant changes in this thread as I work on the update. How does that sound? 

Generally speaking, though, if you make your code atomic, compartmentalized, and interchangeable, it won't be hard to make changes later. By that I mean: using functions, constants, multiple includable files, etc. 

Thanks again!